It is no secret that the NHS is under enormous pressure to get the most out of existing resources. And the pressure is increasingly on reducing the costs associated with administrative functions within the NHS estate. One way to reduce administration, and simultaneously increase the physical space available for clinical care, is to scan and digitise patient records. NHS England’s National Director for Patients and Information, Tim Kelsey has said: “Health and social care services in England must end the unnecessary reliance on paper in the treatment of patients. It’s key to making services safer, more effective and more efficient. Every day, care is held up, and patients are kept waiting while an army of people transport and store huge quantities of paper round our healthcare system.” Earlier this year the government announced allocated £1.8b of funds to support the digitisation of patient records helping to achieve the long-term aim of a paper-free NHS. CAS provides an expert document scanning and digitisation service.
Document scanning service – from hard-copy documents to editable digital records
Our scanning, digitising and archive storage service offers a complete end-to-end service. Choose the whole process or cherry pick the steps you want for your patient records.
- Collection – One of our team members will collect your documents whenever you require, at pre-agreed intervals or on demand within two hours.
- Barcode and track – They will barcode the records immediately to enable continuous tracking as documents are transported to our scanning facility.
- Prepared for scanning – Our document management professionals will prepare the records for scanning, removing paper clips, staples, rubber bands, etc.
- Smart Scan – All pages, including additional notes like post-its, are scanned with our Smart Scan System. Smart Scan automatically converts content into editable text so that you can search for terms in the full body of a document, not just the title; the record can also be edited.
- Archive – the original hard copy of your files are then repacked in our durable document storage boxes. Each box is barcoded, recording the contents to enable fast and accurate retrieval when needed.
- Digital copies – we can then provide you with a digital record of your files, on CD, tape or hard drive, which will be delivered back to your office.
- Added to CAS Cloud – Your digital file is added to an encrypted digital archive which only your named personnel can access. Access is through CAS Cloud, a state-of-the–art hosting system which allows you access to your records from anywhere in the world.
- Editing and Access Audit – CAS Cloud maintains a complete audit record of any action performed on a document – open, amend, copy, delete – to ensure strict compliance with data protection and SOX requirements, meeting internationally recognised standards.
More space, More Time, Less Cost
Document Scanning Case Study: CAS was commissioned by Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust (CCS), to provide scanning, digitisation, archive storage and cloud storage for 20,00 patient records. The relocation to our secure storage facility and digitisation of active files has enabled primary care staff to deliver increased support to patients throughout the region. Administration time and costs have been reduced significantly which has resulted in increased productivity, essential at a time when all NHS teams are under budget pressure. As an additional benefit, the secure storage facility also reduces errors and delivers an enhanced level of security for the confidential records offering peace-of-mind for patients, carers and families. You can read the full story here: http://cas.ltd/digitising-records-nhs-trust-chooses-cas
For more than 20 years CAS have been leaders in the fields of document archive storage and electronic document storage solutions. All of our services, from document digitisation and online file storage, through facilities management, to document and IT data destruction are designed to be flexible and fit around each client’s business.
For a free, no-obligation quote, please contact our specialist team
CAS provide comprehensive and secure document digitisation, information storage, shredding and facilities management services. For more than 20 years CAS have worked with NHS Trusts, Financial Services providers, and corporate and private clients. Our head office is just four miles from the City of London, supported by our advanced storage centres across the UK. CAS has an impressive array of International certifications (ISOs), which prove our compliance with the strictest national, European and international laws. They also demonstrate our commitment to provide innovative systems on security, confidentiality and quality control in keeping your files safe and well managed.
Sources: Tim Kelsey quoted from NHS England website, ‘Cutting reliance on paper will make patients safer, says NHS England’ 1 September 2015. https://www.england.nhs.uk